Seasonal Allergies? Take Care of Your Smile!
At this cold time of year, many of us look forward to warmer weather, blooming flowers, and greener trees. But what we don’t miss during the winter are spring allergies.
Countless people are afflicted with the congestion, constant sneezing, itchy and red, watery eyes that come with the change in weather. But did you realize that seasonal allergies can also impact your oral health?
Be Aware of These Dental Side Effects During Allergy Season
Watch out for the following mouth symptoms and don’t let allergies get the best of you:
- Tooth Pain: The body’s response to airborne allergens is sinus congestion. Sometimes sinus pressure can cause pain in the upper molars. Treating seasonal allergies and managing congestion in the maxillary sinuses can help alleviate tooth pain. A persistent toothache may be a sign of decay and should be examined by your dentist.
- Bad Breath: Increased mucus production can lead to foul breath odor. Congested sinuses leak mucus into the rear of the throat. This is referred to as post nasal drip which can not only irritate your throat, it can cause bad breath.
- Dry Mouth: Antihistamines are commonly used to control seasonal allergy symptoms. These drugs are helpful in keeping your sinuses clear, but they also cause dry mouth. The top defense against harmful mouth bacteria is saliva. If your oral cavity is too dry, you are at a higher risk of developing cavities.
Seasonal Allergies: Protect Your Mouth This Spring
The staff at Varallo Orthodontics want you to maintain good oral health, all year long. Consider these helpful tips to protect your mouth during allergy season:
- Maintain good daily oral hygiene practices. Brush at least two times each day, and floss at least once.
- Take antihistamines as recommended by your doctor, and drink plenty of water.
- Gargle with warm water and salt to help control congestion. Add a half teaspoon of salt to a full glass of warm water and stir until dissolved. Gargle for several seconds.
Don’t Let Allergies Get the Best of You
Spring is a difficult time for many of our patients who suffer from seasonal allergies. Keep up with proper oral hygiene and contact Varallo Orthodontics if you have questions or need additional dental care.